During the 2012-2013 year, I was Chair of the Community Outreach Committee (COCo), which is responsible for student groups, diversity and inclusion, school spirit and events, and relations with Middletown. I hope to bring new energy and productivity to COCo this year. COCo refocused its energies on issues of community this year, making inroads into new areas while redoubling on its traditional responsibilities. The Middletown Relations Committee (MidWes) went in strong to its first full year and two new subcommittees were formed: the Committee for Inclusion and Diversity (CID) and the Spirit and Events Committee (SEC). In addition, new COCo liaisons were introduced to work closely to address the needs of specific student group categories.
As Information Technology Coordinator/Chair from May 2011 to May 2012, and as a regular member of the committee spring 2011:
- Tech Committee: As chair, transformed it from something merely advisory into one of the most powerful and effective committees
- Internet: increased bandwidth, fixed weak access points
- WSA Website: redesigned it myself, putting what matters first
- LaundryView: now you can check which machines are free and when
- Chief Information Officer: only student representative on the hiring committee for this top-level university executive, the Vice President for Information Technology
- Usdan Kiosks: you can now open MS Office and Adobe PDF documents
- Media Literacy Workshop: writing isn’t the only skill you need
- Student Group Tech: publicized group website & email address creation
- ePortfolio: helped reorganize the student portal
- Learn more about the committee at wsa.wesleyan.edu/tech.
- Read my End of Year Report.
On the Organization and External Affairs Committee (OEAC), and beyond:
- Students’ Rights: fought the housing policy change, this year’s blackout reaction
- Communication: new website, new strategies with social media services such as Facebook & Twitter, new LinkedIn & Google+ pages
- Suggestions: suggestion boxes in Usdan and on the WSA website
- Campaign Finance: worked with Democracy Matters to limit presidential campaign spending, creating a more fair process
- Elections: prompted participation & fairness in spring 2012 elections, moderated Presidential Debate
- Alumni Engagement: proposals for increased off-campus & virtual interaction
- Events: helped organize Movie Night on Foss, Middletown Mayoral Debate
In the spring of 2011, I served on the Community Outreach and External Affairs Committee (COEAC) and two of its subcommittees: the Information Technology Services Advisory Committee (ITSAC) and the Organizational Committee. I contributed to the speeding up the internet and strengthening connections, the reaction against the new housing policy, passing campaign finance reform for the WSA’s Presidential and Vice Presidential elections, and more.
Read my WSA blog posts here.
If you are a Wesleyan student and have any questions, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.